OSU has a long tradition of giving students their own individual diplomas during the commencement ceremony for all students who RSVP to attend. Therefore, it is important that graduates line up and remain in order throughout the processional and ceremony. For this to work, you must do your part. If one person does not follow instructions, everyone in that college who is behind that person will get the wrong diploma.
There will be little to no opportunity to use the restroom or refill your water bottle once inside Reser Stadium. Please visit a restroom (either porta pot or unlocked building near lineup) and fill your water bottles from a hydration station near you before 9:30 AM. The commencement ceremony will conclude at approximately 1:30 PM.
All graduation candidates must report for the procession line up by 9 a.m.
- Undergraduate candidates please report to your academic college’s lineup location (see above diagram for locations). Masters and Doctoral candidates please report to separate lineup locations near the Library Quad Clock Tower and the Valley Library (see above diagram for locations).
- Signs and maps will be posted throughout the route to help you find the right location. The information tent in the MU Quad can give you directions or answer questions if needed.
- This is a rain or shine event. If it rains, we will proceed as outlined. Your cap and gown should offer some rain protection.
- OSU Faculty dressed in regalia serving as Commencement Marshals will begin the line up at 9 a.m.
- Marshals will give you a 3-by-5 card containing your name, position number and instructions for the ceremony. Locate the marshal stationed at the sign for your college, under the alphabetical sign that corresponds to your last name.
- Once you have your 3-by-5 card, line up in numerical order. Within each college, honors students will line up first alphabetically, with everyone else lining up alphabetically following them. Please maintain your position so you will receive your own diploma. You are advised to use the restroom and visit the hydration station before 9:30 AM so that you maintain your spot in line.
- If you arrive too late to pick up your 3-by-5 card from the marshal, you must line up at the end of your college’s line. Late arriving students will receive blank diploma cases during the ceremony. You can pick up your diploma at the Registrar’s office or at the Registrar’s station to the rear of the stage in Reser Stadium after the ceremony.
- Line up procedures must be completed by 9:50 a.m.
- Soon after 10 a.m., the procession will start on Jefferson Street in front of Kerr Administration Building. The sound of pipes and drums will be your indication of the start.
- All students should face the colors as they lead the procession through the candidate ranks. Men should remove their mortarboards. The procession will include - in order - the chief marshal, the colors, the president’s platform party, faculty, doctoral, master’s and professional candidates.
- When the procession has passed through the quad, the six columns of bachelor’s candidates will follow. Pay attention at this point to make sure your column does not take off without you. Always follow the person in front of you.
- The chief marshal will halt the procession outside Dixon Recreation Center for a few minutes to allow for any slack in the bachelor’s lines and to correct any problems. Your column may not have moved very far at this point.
- Each of the 10 bachelor’s candidate columns will enter Reser Stadium via the two players ramps. The ramps are steep, so watch your step. Candidates needing mobility accommodations should complete the accommodations request survey.
- Once all columns of bachelor's candidates have assembled at the base of the players ramps, they will enter Reser stadium. Please follow closely the person in front of you and take your seat as quickly as possible.