Following tradition, doctoral candidates may be escorted and hooded by their major professors at commencement. Since not all major professors can perform this function, others may substitute. Faculty may escort and hood more than one candidate. Candidates who do not have an escort will be hooded by the advanced degree marshals.
- The Graduate School will contact the major professors in May requesting information on attendance. We need your timely response to plan the seating assignments!
- Academic regalia must be ordered from the OSU Bookstore before April 24 and picked up by June 15. Online ordering is available at the OSU Bookstore. Faculty members attending Commencement may rent their Cap and gown from the OSU Bookstore and charge to your department index (the appropriate account code within your Index is 28613). You may order your cap and gown online at http://osubeaverstore.com/Faculty/Regalia.
- Doctoral degrees are conferred early in the ceremony. You may leave the stadium after your graduate has received their diploma. You are also welcome to stay if you wish to congratulate Masters or Bachelors graduates.
Line Up and Processional Instructions
- All faculty must report for the processional line up by 9:30 a.m. in front of the Bell Tower in the Valley Library Quad.
- Doctoral candidates will be given a number and will line up on Jefferson Street in front of Kerr Adminstration Building in numerical order. The order is alphabetical by degree.
- Line up opposite the first candidate you are escorting. Keep this position throughout the procession. There will be some gaps in your line since some faculty may be escorting more than one candidate and other candidates may not have an escort.
- Please ensure that each of your candidates unbuttons his or her hood and carries it draped over the left arm. Practice hooding your candidate while waiting in line.
- Lineup procedures must be completed by 10:00 a.m.
- The procession will start at 10:00 a.m. on Jefferson Street in front of Kerr Adminstration Building. The procession will include — in order — the chief marshal, pipers, the colors, the president’s platform party and faculty. Please make sure there is room for the procession to march between you and your candidate.
- The procession will enter Reser Stadium via the southwest corner near Valley Football Center at 10:30 a.m. The ramp is steep, so watch your step. Faculty with mobility challenges should contact the Registrar’s office ahead of time for accommodations.
- Candidates and escorts will be seated together in Reser Stadium. Proceed around the field as directed by your marshals.
- Sit down immediately upon arriving at your seat. You don’t need to wait for your row to be filled.
- Note: You may return to a different seat after the hooding ceremony.